About Baccarat & Basic Strategy
To succeed at baccarat you need to know the object of the game. The object of baccarat, which is quite simple, is to draw a two or three-card hand that is valued closer to nine than the banker. To do this all cards in the deck have their own values awarded to them.
For instance the 10, the Jack, the King, and the Queen all count as zero. The Ace is valued at one and all other cards are worth their face value. If your total is more than ten, you simply drop the zero to get the value of your hand. For instance, if your hand value is 17 you would have a total of 7.
How Baccarat is Played
- A baccarat game begins with the banker and the player each drawing two cards from the deck.
- If the player or the bank has a total of eight or nine both will stand no matter what.
- If the player has a total of six or seven they will stand.
- If the player stands the banker will always hit on a hand value of five or less.
- If the player has a hand value of less than five, the player will hit and the banker will provide them with that third card.
- When the player is dealt the third card the banker will also draw a card under specific circumstances.
For example, if the banker has a hand that is valued a zero, one, or two the banker will always draw a third card. If the banker has a hand valued at three the banker will draw if the player has a third card that ranges from one through seven or 9 and zero.
If the bankers hand is valued at four they will draw if the player’s third card is a two through seven. The banker will also draw if their hand is valued at five if the player’s third card is a four through seven.
If the bankers hand is valued at six they will draw if the player’s third card is a six or seven. When the banker has a hand valued at seven they will stand. At this point the player and the banker calculate hands and the one closest to nine wins the game!
As you can see, baccarat is not the most difficult game to play. In fact, it is actually quite simple. Knowing the object and what to expect during gameplay will allow you to be the most confident player that you can be, even if you are just starting out.
It is a good idea to play free games before you play for real money, just so you can get the feel of the game before you put your hard-earned money on the line.